Tuesday 28 December 2010

The real BBC Awards

Amy Williams, Graeme McDowell, Jessica Ennis and AP McCoy

The BBC Sports personality of the year awards took place recently, there were some amazing candidates this year including Jessica Ennis, (my vote outside of cycling) and Phil Taylor in the SPORT of darts as runners up. The winner though was Ap McCoy following his win at the Grand National on his 15th attempt and over 3000 career wins. A good effort but I'm not a fan of horse racing so I decided to start my own BBC awards (Bradbury's (That's me) best cyclist awards).
There were many contenders including Bradley Wiggins but I have to say Mark Cavendish will take it for me.

Mark Cavendish


After a slow start to the season which was hindered by injury the 'Manx Missile' found his form when it counted with five stage wins in the Tour de France including the win on the final day in Paris. Cavendish followed that up by winning the points jersey at the Tour of Spain in September, becoming the first Briton in 21 years to earn the sprinters' title at a Grand Tour. Once again Cavendish has proved he is the world's greatest sprinter on the road and while the Tour de France green jersey still eludes him, the 25-year-old looks primed for continued success. Cycling is right up there when it comes to commitment, effort and overcoming adversity in the world of sport. I haven't mentioned his Olympic efforts because they didn't take place this year but for me he has been this years superstar. So Mark, please accept this trophy from the BBC awards.... Ade you are the runner up but only because Cavendish stole the win in Paris maybe next year.


No comments: