Monday 13 December 2010

Can you bonk on a turbo trainer?

For those of you that are wondering, and if you aren't a cyclist you probably are, bonking on a bike is the sudden depletion of the riders energy. Runners call it 'hitting the wall', footballers despite their extensive education tend to use a four letter word to describe their physical condition with a similar colloquial meaning to the cyclist's phrase.

I've had a good week end on the bike. Two outdoor rides, just twenty miles each along the river and a session on the turbo trainer on Saturday. I had to get what I could outdoors before the cold weather comes back.  Tonight though was a twenty mile session on my Tacx trainer. I chose a section of the Amstel Gold Classic. Stunning scenery and mountains hitting a 10% gradient. That is the sort of incline that many family cars hit second gear to get up with the engine screaming in protest. As you push the pedals sweating more and the cadence dropping, looking down in disbelief at the one remaining cog you have left to shift into, then, just when you think you have got over the worst of it bang...another incline hits you. This goes on and on for the whole twenty..so much for taking it easy over the winter.
Tonight, I got half way through the session, which fortunately took place at the back of my garage and not on the real course. Suddenly I just ran out of energy. I was drinking water not an energy drink, not a good decision, I was on my carbon bike for minimum weight up the hill, didn't help!!! Suddenly -nothing, not exhausted, not a heart rate over 220, not even bored I was loving it. Just nothing. The good thing about a turbo trainer though was I could step off half way up the hill, step through two doors into the kitchen, then gorge myself like Belushi in animal house stuffing four Cinnamon cakes, a yogurt and an oatmeal bar into me as I climbed back onto the bike and about five inches of a bottle of coke went down my throat as I climbed the next monster rise on the trip. Energy restored I completed a fantastic session on my machine. Now...this was hardly an athletes diet but it put the carbs I needed back into me in seconds and let me finish my planned session. It just shows the importance of diet and stuffing the back pockets with all the food you need.... a good tip when you can't take the mountain to the kitchen. So to answer my question- you can bonk on a turbo trainer, and its safe bonking if your kitchen is stocked up....

No comments: