Wednesday 1 December 2010

Bumping about in the Dark


Now winter is upon us and our day goes dark around 5pm, the subject of daylight and safety are often found in the same sentences uttered by cyclists. Let me start by asking a question. When you get home and it goes dark do you turn off all the lights? If you answered no think again. At some point you must go to bed. Most of us at this point turn off our lights, unless we are a bit scared of the dark. Now my next question- have you ever got up in the middle of the night to go the toilet or get a drink? Have you ever decided not to disturb every one so you leave the lights off? If so I would bet the mortgage (yours not mine) that you have stubbed a toe, walked into a wall or dropped something on the floor with a clatter that wakes every one anyway. Where am I going with this and what does it have to do with cycling? Here we go then. Many councils are thinking of switching street lights off to save money. Many cycling organisations are concerned about the safety of cyclists if this happened. Well, although I love cycling I have to say I think it will risk the safety of everyone.
So what to do.... My opinion..... stick with me again I am going somewhere... when you drive home in the dark at 5pm how many people do you see? 100's? If you drive home at 10pm how many people do you see and how many cars are on the road, down to about 25% of the 5pm rush? What about midnight, or 2am hardly anyone and here is a question, unless you are doing a 24 hour event who rides past midnight? I know some will particularly if you use it for work so feel free to tell me how committed you are or should be!
My point: councils need to save money,so, perhaps they should think about how they can reduce the risk over gain, my suggestion - switch the lights off at midnight and settle on saving half the money and let people get home safely especially with the ice and snow out there.... Take care and cover yourself with lights.

No comments: