Thursday 31 January 2013

Revolution Round Three


Revolution 39 at the Manchester Velodrome sold out before the tickets went public through British Cycling membership showing the increasing popularity of the track. I treated myself to a VIP ticket though I'm not sure why I become a VIP simply by paying an extra £10. What I do get is parking next to the building free saving a cold walk to the nearest public car park, no queueing to get in, a £3 program included, four free drinks, access to the track centre with table seating or go and sit in the stands. In my opinion excellent value for money. Manchester City were playing the other side of the road. I wonder what their top tickets cost out in the cold?

Anyway the event headlined a number of stars including Ed Clancy, Peter Kennaugh, Russel Downing to name a few. Also present was the German Robert Foestemann who attract attention through the size of his thighs were ever he goes (that won't be M&S for trousers). The look of incredulity says it all in the above picture. Then again it can't be often you meet someone with thigh muscles bigger than your waist.

The events can vary and run over between each series. Tonight's included;

1km Madison time trial
A kilo with a difference. The first rider completes ahlf the distance before slinging his team mate for the second half. A good change over is vital, and not as easy as it sounds.....

Points Race

A sprint is held every 10 laps with points awarded to the first four across the line. The winner is the person amassing the most points at the finish. However, if they gain a lap an extra ten points is awarded and you are in the lead. Harder than it sounds at the speeds on the track for the first time at this level I watched amazed as Peter kennaugh back from the sky training camp took two laps and nearly won the final sprint.

While there are several other races I will save them for the next session which is going to be at the Sir Chris Hoy stadium in Glasgow so I guess I am going on tour


No comments: