Thursday 31 January 2013

More of the same....

Last week the UK once again ground to a halt with ice, snow and freezing temperatures plunging many into panic. As usual having decided not to ride I would see people ride past oblivious to the conditions. It doesn't take long to convince yourself that they have thicker tyres, their bikes are little more than scrap value and the person astride it is escaping from a secure location. Then of course you hear about the semi-pro riders (you know the sort) dodging black ice and sliding cars while altering their body temperature like a reptile.

I will be honest and say that safety always comes first with me, we take enough risks as cyclists. I also believe that some time on the turbo will improve your road speed. So, having examined the forecast and discussed it with my coach (who buggered off to Spain for the week) I had alternative rides each day of the week for both road and turbo.

In the end I spent six hours and five minutes on an indoor trainer and 90 minutes on the road. I tried to alleviate the boredom watching videos while pedalling away and using twitter on my Ipad but I found it mentally very hard. Monday as usual was my rest day followed by an hours high speed spin on the Tuesday. Wednesday was two hours of intervals keeping the heart rate and cadence high really took it out of me not to mention getting quite sore as you are sitting most of the time. On Thursday I cracked and went for a ride on the road dodging the ice and on occasion flooded roads where the snow was melting. It wasn't fun though and always at the back of my mind was my upcoming trip, the hard work I had put in and what I stood to loose if I crashed. In the end I only did a gentle 90 minutes.

Overnight the snow came back with a vengeance and with 12 of my last fifteen rides being on the turbo I finally cracked and didn't ride. I had had enough even though I was only scheduled to ride for an hour. By late evening the guilt had set in and I wanted to get on it but convinced myself I would make it up after the next days ride. With a hard turbo session the next day though I didn't. I waited and did 128 minutes of intervals the next day. The Sunday session was supposed to be just a gentle 30 minute spin on the turbo but for my penance I opted for a hard one hour slot which I did so hard I finished in 55 minutes. So overall I only missed 30 minutes which will do.

Next week I am off for a bike fitting and the last day of the week I am in Lanzarote though with the forecast looking much better I am hoping to be out and about and upping the mileage

No comments: