Monday 18 March 2013

Bike Fittings-Do we need them?


 
I suppose the answer, like many things, is it's up to you. Not a lot of help I know so perhaps a few more thoughts. Most of us got our first bikes when we children. Many of us would of been stood next to something with one large and two small wheels at the back and possibly of heard a comment similar to 'He will get a lot longer out of this'. Roughly translated, we only have this size in and I need to sell it to pay the rent'. There then followed a period of uncomfortable/dangerous riding with everything from crashes to high pitched squeals as you hit the cross bar. Then, after a growth spurt suddenly cycling became easier, safer, faster and well more fun. What happened was you grew to fit the bike. Unfortunately as you continued to grow it lost this moment in time when everything was perfect.
 
How does it relate to today and maybe as an adult our fixed height? Well you have several options with a bike fit.
 
  1. Guess, it worked as a child.
  2. Have a look on the Internet, it will explain plumb lines, and knee angle
  3. Get a fit at the shop when you buy a new bike
  4. Go for a professional  bike fit
 
I have done the latter for some time. I had a shop fit when I bought my orbea and although they worked hard on it frankly they didn't have the equipment needed to get it perfect. I had aching shoulders and lower back, knee pain and appeared to be rolling around in the saddle. All signs that the bike doesn't fit properly. 

 
So I went to meet Richard Salisbury at Pedal Precision in the Manchester Velodrome www.pedalprecision.com Not so much, just a fit as a complete adjustment of all contact points to match your goals. One of the things I am always keen to check is the credentials of anyone I am paying money to. Richard not only has all that is required he has vast experience of, well people like me, to world champions. Good enough for me. 


Pedal Precision takes bike fitting personally. That is to say that they really work with each individual rider, taking into account their sports and injury history, and helping the rider work together with the bike. It’s not about telling someone “this is what your position SHOULD be” it’s about helping achieve a position which allows the riders body to get the most from every pedal revolution whilst preventing overuse injuries or offloading any structures which are already compromised. They will also help you identify areas of weakness which can be addressed through exercises or physio style treatment in order to help you get the most from your riding.
 
It begins with a conversation about your goals, training, experience and, well, many other things so that Richard can begin to understand your needs.
 
Next are the shoes and cleats. I began by standing then walking up and down the room. Then, a little bit of sorcery, Richard simply set my pedals and gave the shoes back to me. I hadn't even used them on the bike. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical at first. However, once back on the bike the knee pain disappeared so that bit was right.
 
Next was onto the turbo machine. Once I was spinning Richard captured my movements using a slow motion camera to optimise power and comfort. When he fitted my first bike some major tweaks were made. The stem was too short causing my back to curl and shoulder blades to stick out hence the upper and lower back pain. Problem solved. The other thing that happened was my average speed jumped an incredible two miles per hour.
 
Finally we discussed injuries, Richard was able to offer credible advice he is qualified to give that helped me pre and post ride.
 
I mentioned that the first bike needed significant changes, I have been back three times now and although I set my bike roughly in the right position mainly because I can't wait to have a ride each bike is different. The geometry changes and it can actually be impossible to set the measurements exactly the same between bikes. Then of course there is the TT bike. A balance has to be struck between aero tuck and the ability to breath and transmit power. Again something Richard really helped me with. Each bike was adjusted and two of them even required different length stems.
 
So my view it is worth taking each bike for a fitting and perhaps have a quick go on the track at the same time. The price for increasing your joy on the machine? Well, check his site as it may change but when I last went it was £110 for the first bike and half price for any others. I have spent more on a stem which didn't come close to benefiting me as much as the pro fit did. Go and try it.
 
 
 

No comments: