Sunday 20 January 2013

Never talk about religion or politics and now Armstrong


And yet here I go. I don't think that any cycling blogger can avoid the issue though, with most people sick of the subject, I will keep it brief.

In the past on this blog I have expressed my disapproval over the Armstrong investigation. Not because he was a particular hero of mine or because I believe his charitable work was more important than justice but simply because I believe that judicial procedure was more important than catching any one guilty person be it a criminal or a cycling cheat. So that investigation and process has passed and as a consequence Armstrong initially buried his head ignored what was happening and eventually admitted to cheating throughout his seven tours. He is now banned for life from all sports a punishment he describes as a death sentence.

How do I feel? Well first of all in the last week I have watched all seven of his winning tours. They were exciting, challenging and, at the time held me captivated to a TV screen.

Now first of all I know he is a cheat, a liar and has lost all credibility. Let me put a different slant on it. Football fans watch their heroes dive, handball, pull at opponents, head butt, punch, stamp, racially abuse other people. There have been accusations of rape, violent assault ,death by reckless driving and always a very rich footballer emerges sneering with contempt for every one outside of their circle even their manager. For the cheating on the pitch it may be a red card and two match suspension or a £100,000 one weeks wages fine. For the worst criminal offences they score two goals and the fans deify the individual and cheer themselves until they are mute. I don't like it some people don't care.

Do I think cheating is ok cause everyone does it? No I don't. What I do think is that Armstrong was not the problem. The system was and especially the director sportives, doctors and coaches who had an almost parental responsibility to their riders. At their age the lines become blurred by youth and they need guidance. Now, is it that cycle fans are less tolerant than football fans (and let's face it many other areas of society, politicians, movie stars, pop stars, American football, basket ball, baseball, golf) all have had their villains that have been forgiven sometimes without an apology. But cycling has had many villains in the past who have been forgiven. Some of the French ones became national heroes, then there was Mercx who claimed he was drugged and didn't take them, Simpson and of course every ones favourite German Jan. one of the most interesting to me is David Miller. He has been very vocal in his condemnation of Lance and yet he never admitted to being a doper until he was caught. He lost everything mainly though because by his own admission he lived day to day partying and spending everything. If doping made such a difference why did Miller the doper come 143rd and Armstrong the doper come 1st? There is more to winning than doping..

Anyway, enough. My point is that like many others Lance Armstrong cheated, lied and deceived. He deserves to be punished proportionate to the crime and certainly not a life time ban. I believe that any civilised society should believe and practice rehabilitation. Lets face it we eventually let murderers out of prison. Armstrong has some more work to do before he is rehabilitated but he must be absolved at some point. Personally I hope he gets to compete again once he has paid back the money he sued for, but not the money to sponsors. They got what they wanted. Increased exposure and as a consequence a massive increase in sales. They won't pay money back to the public so why should Lance. So lets keep things in perspective. It was a bike race, he cheated, he was caught and humbled. It makes no difference to my enjoyment and there are a whole bunch of clean riders out there.

No comments: