Thursday 3 January 2013

Less Horse Power - more Watts

Another week gone and the big adventure was my encounter with a very frightened horse. I had just finished a three hour ride and as I approached my home decided to ride on for another 30 minutes. I looked down to reset the garmin and moved out to pass a parked car. As I looked up I saw a horse charging at full speed towards me. Its eyes were wild and it still wore its saddle and had reins around its neck.With its feet slipping all over the road it seemed to fill the entire width of my proposed route. I managed to slam on behind the parked car as it shot past and skidded its way into the road on my right. It shot straight across the next road somehow avoiding any traffic. Being aware it could injure someone and of course its own rider was probably lying in the road somewhere further back I phoned 999 and let the police know what was happening. The problem was the road it ran into was called the Paddock and the operator for valid reason thought it was a crank call. I did manage to convince them otherwise and left them looking for the poor animal.

So, the worst case of road rage aside the week was good. My heart rate is back down to 44 when at rest and my weight is just 2lb higher than pre Christmas. My mileage has jumped back from a illness restricted 61 (last week 132) to to a solid 212 miles. The first two sessions were on the turbo due to child care commitments of just over an hour each. And to be honest, it let me check I was working ok as well. I then enjoyed two three hour road rides and felt the pure joy of cycling the lanes of Wirral, Cheshire and Wales again. The roads were quiet and the weather kind. The 5th day of the week was 70 minutes on the turbo again and some X box kinnect track and field training while the last day was another 3 hour windy session.

Most of the rides remain in zone 1 & 2 though the wind and weather often force me into 3 and 4. I am also starting to build some protracted times in higher zones which feels easy and I find myself looking forward to them, So despite the weather i am back on target. I have picked up my time trial bike (more on that this week) and have five weeks until I head of to Lanzarote for a weeks training.
So all is going well#



No comments: