Sunday 13 January 2013

Winter is back again



So another week complete and more complications to riding. My plan, inspired by the slice next to the TV, was to get back to a 250 mile+ week. The elements, children and workmen conspired against me. Keeping things in perspective (I don't earn money from cycling) other things took priority including my safety.

Monday's ride went from a planned road ride in sunny weather to an indoor turbo session with a sickly daughter off school in the next room. Still an hour (27 miles done). Tuesday I got out for a four hour ride. The problem today was my Scott with the light brackets was in the shop so I was out on the orbea with no lights. Should be no problem in the middle of the day, however, two hours in a thick fog came down and I was still just over the Welsh border. Luckily I found a group of riders heading to the Eureka cafe with plenty of lights. I jumped into the middle and had some coffee and my luck held out when I was provided with a rear light by Ann at the cafe on credit. The fog thickened again during the last ten miles home with cars still coming up fast and seeing me at the last minute. I didn't like that. So with fog the next two days I hit the tacx again. An hour and ten on Thursday and 2 hours Friday. The sun came back on Saturday but so did my sickly daughter so it was still indoors for another hour.

Sunday was planned to be four hours, With ice on the road and the temperatures plunging to -3 I dropped it down to two hours and taking it easy leaving out the zone three work. Overall I made 202 miles for the week, 48 less than I planned but considering turbo work should be half the road work it was still a good week.

With snow forecast from tonight my week in Lanzarote can't come soon enough but there are still three weeks to wait. The other news is I have decided to do a dream ride from Paris to Nice and onto Monte Carlo in September, more on that later but a challenge for the coach mixing the ride with the TT training.


No comments: