Saturday 29 December 2012

I won't get the best out of the bike....

But the bike will get the best out of me....

First of all it's been another bad week for me with my Heart rate still high and going beyond what I thought possible. My mileage has doubled from the week before and the good news is that, although I haven't fully recovered next week either, with the benefit of writing this towards the end of next week my mileage starts going back up.
So with this dragging out I am wondering exactly what is wrong.

  1. Am I ill? I was but at the moment I feel great other than my HR being high so I want to put this one out of the equation.
  2. Have I over trained. Always a huge fear, I have done this before and with it lost all enthusiasm to ride the bike so I did a quick test on this site http://www.thedietdiary.com/diet/healthIndex/OverTraining.html and again the answer is no
  3. I'm on a sugar rush. I don't even know if this would do it but out of boredom I have put on 6lbs and eaten all the Christmas goodies. So... i am wondering if all the sugar has pushed my heart rate up. The strange thing is after 90 minutes of riding it drops into the normal zone...
So it is time to take care of my diet, drop the heart rate and try to drop another half stone.

The week, as you may imagine has been easy, keeping the legs spinning, recovery rides in zone 1 and 2. It consisted of the usual rest day, an hours easy turbo, 2 days of 90 minutes on the road, an hours turbo and 2 hours on the road. Weekly mileage 133 up from 61 the week before so looking good. Also, strangely I wasn't out of breath during the rides nor did I feel tired. So back on target.

So why the title, I won't get the best out of the bike but the bike will get the best out of me? Well I went to have a look at the new TT bike at Cheshire Oak cycles. It was still being built and when I went in politely stood behind customers taking photos of it. I think it is stunning. More on it later though.
What did shock me a little was another rider outside telling me I should be doing 21minute time trials over ten miles on a machine like that. He then went on to ridicule people who use time trial equipment. My response isn't important but when did cyclists start to decide what one another can or can't do. I am under no illusion that I will ever be more than about a twenty five minute man given my age and ability I think this is a great time and the bike will help me achieve it. What does it matter if I have bought a great bike to do it on? We don't wait on a marathon line knocking every one that finishes over four hours wearing two hundred pound training shoes or tell someone they can't have a Ferrari as the speed limit is 70. The time trial is a race against yourself and if you want to do a 40 minute ten mile time trial get out there and do it...Anyway rant over, More on the bike when I pick it up and even more when I ride it,.

No comments: