Thursday 4 October 2012

never start with an apology



In this case though I think I have to...my last blog included my ramblings about the Garmin 800 failing yesterday. I have to say Garmin have quickly got me up and running again. I thought that the device was like a normal car Garmin and detected movement and calculated your speed... which it does. That is until you add a speed/cadence sensor. Once again [I thought] the sensor kicked in if you lost a signal. Apparently not, if the device detects a sensor the speed runs off it regardless. My problem, I had knocked the sensor while cleaning the bike, it still picked up cadence but not speed so just assumed I wasn't moving, as did I while riding in zone one. So a quick adjustment and I am recording again.

So today's ride was the same as Tuesday's. 15 minutes warm up in zone 1, 90 minutes zone 2, and 15 mins cool down zone 1. I opted for the same route, the weather, dry and a bit warmer, rather than the rain of Tuesday but the wind was similar. So at about the half way point I realised was ahead of the last ride and opted to add a loop out towards Cheshire Oaks and back through the lanes towards Eureka, coming back through Burton I was still ahead so dropped back to the marshes the same as last time and climbed the steep hill with my heart ignoring the zone two target. The timer went off about 300 meters from home so only about a 20 second ride (I had a tail wind). I'm still finding it painfully slow in zone one especially on  the cool down, but managed to keep up at the top end of zone two throughout the ride.
End result I rode an extra two miles over the same time on Tuesday....well I'm impressed.

Only other activity today, some research on which wheels to put on the TT bike when it arrives, possibly Mavic Carbone SR's but will keep looking. It's a very easy ride planned for tomorrow. One hour in zone one.... Perhaps Eureka and back with coffee in the middle.

No comments: