Sunday 7 October 2012

End of Week One



To be clear, the picture isn't me, not even close but its pretty cool. There was no blog yesterday as time failed me and cleaning a dirty bike ready for the next ride felt a bit more important. yesterday was a four hour ride, the longest so far in this regime. Again it was 15 mins zone 1, 3 1/2 hrs in zone 2 and a 15 min zone 1 cool down. I was allowed into zone three for the hills if I had to. Despite the amount of climbing I chose to ride through Willaston, Ellesmere Port, Chester and through to Dellamere Forrest, coming back through Christleton, Chester, Wrexham a quick  halt at Eureka and home. Overall I did reasonably well. I hit 160bpm a couple of times on the 12% climbs but would defy anyone not to. My HR stayed in Z1 for an hour not thirty minutes but that may be down to tailwinds, long descents and a spell along a dirt track courtesy of the garmin. And, I must confess the odd play at speed particularly after a 12% decent. I also got my times wrong. I hit Eureka with 20 mins of the ride to go and 40 mins to go home. As it was supposed to be a team ride and ended up a solo one I felt I deserved some coffee. Rather than spend the full 40 mins in zone 1 I continued at a higher rate until 15 mins then dropped the speed down a bit though it was difficult going mostly uphill. Overall I managed about 68 miles at 15.9mph average. I also felt very good after the ride and the next day. In fact I haven't felt sore tired, or wanted to avoid the bike all week.

Today, due to child care arrangements I was due to hit the turbo, annoying on a sunny day but with the best excuse possible. The plan was a 15 minute warm up, then 3 lots of 2mins z2 and 2mins z1 finishing with a 15min z1 cool down. It should of been OK but having fitted a new tyre I had problems with the tacx, the speed was between 0 and 6mph for a cadence of 90-120 and a HR in excess of 130. so I need to sort out the technical difficulties for next time.

Overall a good week without any pain and interestingly some of the best sleep for a long time. Not sure I will blog every day next week I may go for a summary, depends how I feel.....

No comments: