Tuesday 23 November 2010

Waiting for a new arrival

Have you looked at the bargains available in your bike shops or on the Internet at the moment? It's clearance time. The 2011 models are out and the 2010 stock is now useless and no fun to ride. Or is it? I have always wanted to try a time trial bike. In my racing days I had the pleasure of watching Greg Lemond snatch victory in the Tour D'France with tri bars borrowed from the triathlon world. We all clamoured to buy some of the clip on pieces and expected to drop minutes from our times in the race of truth. In fact we weren't disappointed. In an age before carbon, deep wheel rims and clip on rear discs we were starved of technology and innovation. Tri bars were the cycling worlds equivalent of landing on the moon. Next came clipless pedals and we all had a re-think about titanium. People began to think about how to get more speed from their bikes. Anyway after an absence of some fifteen years I can't believe the difference in the technology of bikes. It is like part exchanging a mark two cortina for the latest 5 series. Incomparable. Anyway back to my story, I have the road bikes I want and an upgraded mountain bike arrives next week. I had something of a lust for a time trial bike. Looking on the Wiggle site they had the giant trinity 0 for £899 the list price is £1400. So a swift saving of £500. To good to pass up on. But wait a minute.... what about the 2011 model .. what new wonders could I get for full price? Well the blue, white and black colours have been swapped around on the frame and saddle and the wheels have white logos not the blue found on the old rims. Other than that everything is virtually the same except the price. It is now £1500. So I reckon I am saving £600. What can I say? I am plotting the ten mile time trial courses to see how much time they really save and of course for those who have read my previous blogs the cigars and brandy will be out to celebrate the new arrival. I will wait for your congratulations during the wetting of her head. Love her already and will spend the day on the door step waiting for the Post office stork...... More after the first ride.

1 comment:

Wirral-Mamils said...

We have all been there. Hope all goes well