Sunday 12 May 2013

Second Effort-getting a bit faster



So after last weeks 27-51 I had beaten my target of a sub 30 minute by 2 mins 9 seconds giving me the right to ride my TT bike on the next event. The first problem was that I actually haven't ridden it that many times and they take a bit of getting used to. There is a lot of weight on the arms and looking up uses different neck muscles. So on the Tuesday I took it out for some interval training. Just two lots of 4 by 2 minutes in zone four in the middle of a 2 hour ride on the Tuesday settled me into position, started getting me used to the gear changes and building the neck strength.  Wednesday was different again. I was out for 2 1/2 hours on a hot day. I was doing sprints so 6 to 15 second sprints with up to 45 seconds of recovery many many times. My last sprint went past cheshire oak cycles and I was starting to struggle with the heat and effort. I didn't have a bottle (or cage) on the TT bike, stupid mistake. Cheshire Oak cycles gave me a can of energy drink so in return I ordered my cage and bottle, not that they expected me to. They also checked my bike ready for Thursday. 
So I was feeling prepared and ready for the Thursday night ride, secretly hoping to get into the 26 something. 
Of course the gods conspired against me. I woke Thursday to heavy rain and howling gales. I spotted a tweet from a local semi-pro who returned home after 20 miles due to the conditions and began to decide (maybe) not to ride. Later in the day though I thought I would drive down just for a look. That in turn became a ride. The bike set up I once again did a 7 mile 18.1mph warm up getting to the line as number 9 with 5 minutes to spare (perfect). Both number 8 and 10 either side of me were on TT bikes with aero helmets (I haven't earned the right to wear mine yet) and looked pretty handy. I tried telling number ten it would be rude to pass me in the first four miles but he looked to have little sympathy.  
My turn came and I set off in the rain and in to a strong head wind. I dropped down the descent and just a few hundred yards from the first corner got a big cheer from a group just watching, not bad in this weather. As I hit the first corner I was slightly delayed by four cars passing (safety first). I then noticed number 8 not far ahead. I love a carrot but I was a little embarrassed to catch them before the three mile point. I passed them muttering that I would blow soon and pushed on determined not to give number ten the same satisfaction. The ride was hard with the cold, rain and wind buffeting me about. I felt wobbly on the bike at times but not uncomfortable. The wind pushed me uphill back to the start and I tried going wide on corner one to maintain my speed. At the last minute I spotted a pile of mud and slammed on. To be honest I need more practice on the narrow bars so it didn't matter. I pushed on with lungs burning on the final uphill before pushing as hard as I could on the downhill. 27.21 for the 10.1 miles. I was slightly dissapointed at first not getting into the 26 minutes but riding back with number 10 he told me he was 90 seconds slower than last week and I beat him by 1-40. So hopefully with better weather next week I can get into the 26 mins and drop that even more on a fast course.  I need to get into a club and race a few other courses perhaps even try a 25- just for the pain of it,

Those interested in trying it feel free to get in touch or turn up on a Thursday night in Saighton just outside Chester. The first rider sets off at 7 so try and get there about 6 to warm up and settle down. It's £3-50 to ride and is a good, though technical and slightly slow course. There are all sorts of levels there so don't worry about your ability. 

No comments: