Thursday 9 May 2013

1st one done



After working hard through the winter it was important for me to get a benchmark of where I am up to in my quest for a 25 minute 10 mile time trial. I had opted for the Saighton 10 just outside Chester. It's described as a technically difficult course of 1&1/2 loops, dropping down from the start to a left hand turn the course runs flat for a couple of miles. It's then a left turn and uphill fo a while. Past the car park again where your fellow velo-nuts cheer you on before you ride back through the start for another lap of the first three miles.

This was my first time trial in over thirty years and just one week off my 50th birthday so, to be honest, I was nervous. I felt I hadn't ridden the TT bike enough so I opted to race on the Cannondale super six. Still a fast bike but no TT machine. I always said I would allow myself 'treats' when I managed certain times. My goal for today was simply under 30 minutes. Late last year I was managing 30 to 31 minutes on the road.

So with a 7pm start I had plenty of time through the day to get ready. I checked the bike over and put it in the car. Clothes selected to be as similar to a skin suit as possible without subjecting the world to me in a skin suit. Recovery drink ready, and an energy drink for sipping in the hour up to he event. I ate well through the day with my last meal three hours before apart from fruit and an energy bar. All a little over the top but it stopped me wondering what I was up to.

I got to the course at 6, an hour early. I met the organisers, signed in number 9, paying my £3-50 and set the bike up. As people gathered it was clear there were riders of all abilities and a friendly bunch they were. I decided for my warm up I would ride around the 7 mile loop. (I had already driven round a week earlier to see what it was like). As I got to the bottom of the hill I checked the actual time (I know) and realised I was pushing my luck getting back to the start in time for the off. Classic rookie mistake. I ended up averaging 18mph for the warm up, not much for some but a bit quick for me. I had a quick gel and made the start with three minutes to spare.

My heart rate rocketed at the start (possibly through panic at making the start) then settled to my functional threshold where I held it for the rest of the ride. After charging down the hill and sweeping left I got into my preferred cadence along the flat. At about the four mile point the course goes under a low railway bridge. As I approached I could see the beginnings of a traffic jam. Slowing down I weaved through the cars to a tractor with a JCB on a trailer stuck under the bridge. I squeezed through. The last rider to do so. The organisers rightly cancelled the event. I was told by all the Marshall's as I rode round it was cancelled but I was on my way and even if the time keepers had gone home I could time it on my garmin.

So on I went, through the riders packing up with some still shouting my name and cheering me on it encouraged me up the hill.

The downhill strip was welcome and the section after the left turn went on for ever as I tried a final surge. The keepers gave me almost the same time as my garmin (I pushed the button after crossing) and with everything considered I was delighted with my time of 27.51 an average speed of 21.8mph and a maximum of 29.1. It was then just a gentle ride back to the start and not under th bridge.

So I have learnt a few lessons, I can ride my TT bike next time, I'm told this is a slow course and I should try some straight out and backs. Not slowing for corners will keep my speed up but all in all I may need to reconsider my 25minute target.



 

No comments: