Thursday 23 May 2013

Riding with the brakes on slows you down



Last weeks Saighton ten was another lesson in time trialling. I had a few problems with the bike before I left. The rear brake is integrated into the frame and sits underneath, just behind the down tube. I was struggling to stop the brake catching on it. I would think I had fixed it than a couple of goes on the brake and it would catch again. 

I drove down anyway and set the bike up again, once again i thought it was ok. i rode the warm up and knew with the speeds I was doing something was still wrong. I got back to the start line and with the help of a couple of the palefish crew thought I had finally fixed it. Despite maintaining my usual heart rate I was passed by two people starting after me. While its not the best indication of performance it stings a bit when you find out they were both slower than my time last week by about a minute. I ended up being just over three minutes slower than last week. At the finish line I picked the bike up, span the back wheel and watched it stop after quarter of a turn. No wonder I was slow. I put it down to resistance training and dropped the bike in the shop. The bad news is there is a problem and its gone back to the manufacturer. So I'm back to road bikes for now. I didn't do a great deal of riding through the week with gales making riding dangerous though I have managed a few hard interval sessions 

As I'm writing this its five hours to tonight's ten and its still 50mph gusts so I'm trying to motivate myself  ready to try again......



No comments: