Monday 18 March 2013

I need to keep up....


It has been a while since I completed my last post (other than the one on fittings that I just did). I still have to write about Lanzarote, the Glasgow revolution, my new steed, some testing at university a new trip I planned amongst other things.

This post though is about the training. Once again the weather is conspiring against cyclists with temperatures out there similar to my freezer. Throw in a chill factor and the body quickly starts to shut down and long mileage becomes difficult. I opted to fight this and invested in some excellent bioracer winter kit. The sort of clothing the Palefish and Polocini  teams use as well as others up to and including World Champions. To finish it off a superb Goretex jacket and winter socks from Cheshire Oak cycles have seen me out in sub zero temperatures. So my outdoor mileage has jumped up to about 200 a week again, apart from a short illness dropping one week down to 150. With another freeze this week the winter that never ends shouldn't stop me from enjoying myself.

So what have I been up to? First of all I wanted to drop my weight a bit more. I made a conscious effort to watch my diet over the last three weeks without loosing power and managed to drop 7lbs. Another 7 as it warms up will really help over the hills.

My weeks are getting interesting. They are still fairly routine but all the winter base miles are now paying dividends.

They look like this:

Monday is still a rest day though it is often hard to stick to this it allows me to catch up on things (other than blogging)

Tuesday, I have been going to meet the science chaps at Hope University to collate some data that should help me become more competitive. More on this in another blog when I finish. In short I am finding my functional thresholds using ramp tests, and simulated time trials.

Wednesday is a bit of a recovery day usually a 1-1/2 to 2 hour zone one session to spin the lactate out of my legs. This week I went on my TT bike and overdid it (a lot) but boy was it fun and that machine flies.

Thursday is a long steady ride up to 4-1/2 hours in zone 1 and 2 hitting 3 on the hills.

Friday is a hill session working in laps after an hours warm up I alternate climbing a 9% hill about 400m long, 1 lap standing 1 lap sitting for five laps. The idea is to push the hardest gear you can and just roll over the top. I am doing the following at the moment 53/1 standing. 53/17 sitting, 53/14 standing, 53/16 sitting and finally a horrendous 53/11 standing when I just about make it.
It does appear to work. I climb an 11% hill on the way home and I fly over it using the lower gears.

Saturday is interval time, it should of been on the TT bike but with heavy rains the night before there was a lot of debris in the gutters and I don't want to ride a new style of riding in poor conditions yet.


So I took the Scott foil out, after a 40 minute warm up finishing at the top of zone 2 I planned to start a loop through Thornton Hough.  8 minutes in zone 5 (yes zone 5) followed by 8 minutes in zone 2, with three of the zone 5 sessions - you get the idea. The course was undulating, the wind breezy and temperature cold but it was dry and  I was looking forward to the challenge. Zone five isn't easy and it takes some training to get the body used to it. I managed to average 24mph on the first lap but my legs were sore from the day before and I knew I was going to struggle on the next two. After what felt like two minutes I was into the second 8 minutes. I was going OK but with just over a minute to go I punctured in a lane with no pavement. I gingerly rode to a footpath stopping 20 seconds before the 8 minute time. Wheel out bike flipped, the heavens opened with fat, cold rain. I put a goretex coat on top of my other three layers and fixed the bike but it was no use. I ended up very cold, very quickly. Once I started again I managed 21mph for the second lap, not bad considering the slow punctured wobble at the end. The third lap though dropped to just over 19mph, still OK though considering how cold I was and how many layers I had on.
I span off to Eureka for some coffee and back adding just over an hour and a half to the ride so not a bad day.

Sunday was going to be an easy spin in the evening but I didn't make it home in time to get out so opted for a thirty minute spin on the tacx to ease the legs and keep them moving.

Over all its going well. I was going to do my first T next week, just a ten, but my club hasn't registered yet so I have had my entry refused. I will give them another week then I need to consider joining someone else perhaps.

That's it more soon


2 comments:

Bradley Howe said...

Just like what you are doing, setting a time frame or schedule when to bike or not is very helpful to cyclists. It can help them reach their personal goals easily.

Wirral-Mamils said...

Thanks Bradley, I now have a Girona training session, a Lanzarote session and a new bike to add