Wednesday 26 September 2012

New regime -4 days

Well it's four days to go until the new training program starts and the week has seen some of the worst floods for years, torrential rain and gales. On Monday I did an hour of hilly riding on the tacx and felt guilty that I didn't do more. Tuesday I once again opted for a safe indoor session and pushed 90 minutes on the tacxI need to invest in a new turbo tyre, the old one is falling apart and a new heart rate monitor to ensure I'm getting the best out of the turbo.

Today though I thought the weather looked a bit better, the rain stopped and it wasn't that windy so I thought I would sneak out for a quick thirty even though I wasn't feeling 100%. I wore my winter jacket, full length gloves and autumn leggings for the first time. it wasn't too bad, the roads were damp and felt a bit slippy but it was ok. Seven miles in and I was hit by torrential rain, the wind picked up and the floods re-appeared. I also noticed at one point my speed dropped to 15mph and my pulse was 148, indicative that things weren't right, that pulse is normally around 18mph. 
I cut the ride short and came in at 22 miles very wet, cold and smiling. It does show what goals can do for you. In the past when the weather turned I would normally take about two weeks to force myself out. Although the rides were short I still did them. So I meet the new coach formally for the first time tomorrow night and I have four more days of messing about on the bike before I start the structured training. Can't wait

No comments: