Tuesday 25 September 2012

Here comes the mid life crisis

A few years ago most men reaching mid-life crisis were supposed to buy a Mazda MX5 costing around £19,000. The fresh air and sense of freedom allowing the confused individual a sense of freedom and a return to a child like state. Next on the list was the motorbike with a variety of prices upto about 15,000 including the extras. The main problem with this one was the additional driving test, limits on the cc and the high risk of death when crashing at speed. There is a reason doctors call motorbike riders donors.
I'm lucky I had motorbikes and convertibles through my 20's and 30's so got it out of my system. Anyone who has a connection with cycling will be aware of the rise of the mamil or middle aged man in Lycra. Not wanting a two wheel rocket and finding two seats impractical people turned to the healthy option of cycling though I have to say it is unlikely to be cheaper if you end up addicted.
As I am living to 120 when I will die with my 26 year old wife sobbing next to the bed (she's just realised she's out of the will) I accept I am approaching mid life. I'm 50 next year and wanted to do something to commemorate the milestone.
First of all I have ordered two new bikes (Not a shock to anybody that knows me). Next, I have been discussing with fellow Wirral Mamil Ade this years cycling. We both feel we haven't done as much as the year before. In his case work commitments and mine preparing for retirement and renovating my new home. Although I had a trip to Spain it was really just training and other than that we have only managed a couple of Polocini sportives and the Wiggins monstrous ride.
The main problem we agreed was that we didn't set goals at the start of the year and plan training around them.
So with two bikes on order and feeling a little deflated by this year I am taking the unusual step of announcing next years plan. As well as a February training camp and sportives to be decided I am going to concentrate on time trials.
At the moment I can ride ten miles without warming up and through traffic in 29 minutes on a road bike. I want to do it in 27. (I'm not sure of a target 25 time yet)
So, I'm 50 in may, weigh 204lbs avg about 18mph on my training rides which have stagnated. I consider myself an average rider when riding with an average group. What's the plan? Well I'm doing it properly. The bike is a cannondale slice due in the UK in December which will be fitted with my carbon spinnergy wheels. http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/2013/bikes/road/triathlon-time-trial/slice-rs/slice-rs-ultegra-double-crankset

My other immediate plans are;
a bike fitting with pedal precision;
Working with a good cycling coach (starting next week)
Reviewing diet

Later on I will consider other aero equipment perhaps even the strange helmet. I intend to keep updating my progress on the blog along with Ade's who through work commitments won't be able to train as often.

I will try to supply subjective and objective data and would emphasise I have no delusions about winning anything. I just want to see how long it takes to get faster and hopefully enjoy my cycling even more. So if you have wondered about the effectiveness of equipment, coaching and how much fun time trialling is....... Stay tuned

No comments: