Tuesday 5 April 2011



Cycling weekly recently ran a survey to find the average cyclist of 2011. It's always interesting to see how you fit into the statistics of your favourite hobby but ultimately - it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it. I intend to keep going until I'm way beyond average (I have to I just bought a new bike, more on it later).
Anyway some fun facts

84% MALE - Me
41yrs 4 months used to be me
height 5ft 10 nearly me
waist 33.3" - part of my waist is
Average spend on bikes £1,070 a year Ha- every two months maybe
number of bikes 2-3 I have 6 of my own, don't know why but need another one
Weight 12-5lbs no comment
Time riding 15 years - not even close
hours riding per week 8 - about right
50% have raced - me too
miles per week 105 - I do a fair few more
Only half have ridden a sportive, I've done two and a few more booked
81% use energy drinks quite right
70% have a turbo trainer but 10% don't use it - I love them and have two
57% have a heart rate monitor, I wouldn't move without one

other than that hardly any one is happy with their weight and time trial times for the 10 vary between 19-19 and 50-12 so give it a go.

There we go, the average cyclist, wonder if we can find one or do we all sit outside average? I hope so.... Ignore the stats and happy cycling

2 comments:

Vincent said...

Nice article!
Where are your stats sourced from ?

Anonymous said...

Nice article!
From where are your stats sourced?