Thursday 13 January 2011

Great Expectations

Charles Dickens knew a lot about the expectations we place on ourselves and others. In his book the expectations fall on people with money and education. Sneak the poor into these exclusive areas and expectations increase. These days expectations can be seen in second rate entertainment such as football. Don't believe me? Look at Liverpool and Chelsea. Money and education through academies and the best managers money can buy raise expectations to a Dickensian level. Every team expect to win the premiership. Now I don't know how many teams are in a premiership but I do know there can only be one first place. If they aren't there everyone wants blood and usually it is the managers. Funny thing, I think my expectations would be higher of someone paid £250,000 a week who is incapable of scoring a goal for Manchester United.

Back to cycling. The tour down under starts this Sunday. It will be Lance Armstrong's last professional race. Expectations were high when he returned to the Tour D'France. And in my mind he delivered; managing to be the oldest person on the podium the first year of his return and showing how much he enjoys cycling the second year. He is a hero in many places around the globe and rightly so. He is particularly embraced in Australia as a sporting legend. Are there expectations of him? Well not from me. I hope to see him entertain, I hope to see some close calls and would love a victory for him. The reality is that as we get older we get a bit slower and someone else ends up a champion. What you can guarantee is they will never make the level of Uber Champion Lance. To continue competing at this level over the period he has shows the level of skill and ability he has. Hope he enjoys it and I look forward to watching the event. No, my expectations aren't what they were when he was master of the tour but it is a pleaasure to see the man cntinue to race, entertain and raise the profile of cancer through the livestrong trust,. Just Do It Lance.

No comments: